Wednesday, November 24, 2010

And my favourite flava red tube

While I am in a posting mood - here is my favourite Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora:




Another Queensland plant, this is sold by Fly Free Zone (FFZ) as FRT 1. FFZ's manager, David Martin, tells me he brought the plant many years back from Fred Howell. I tried to grow it once before at age 12, but our winters were not cold enough, and it languished for a year before dying. I like it because of its deep maroon colour - and these pictures were taken within a couple of months of the plant being split and repotted, then de-potted again as a dormant rhizome, flown to Canberra in a zip lock bag, left to sit for a few weeks and re-potted again. None of my other flava red tube came up this nicely, and they were treated far more gently. David's large plants of this clone are breathtaking - again, another clone that promises to only get better with age...