Sarracenia flava var. cuprea “Helmut’s Rosy Red”. I lost this plant from my collection and it took a few years before I got another division. What happened? read on…
Make sure it is this one:
It took a while to figure it out – I had been loosing Sarracenia from my collection each year, and thought it was some sort of fungus. Each time it was the same – wilting pitchers, and death a few days later. But when I had some colleagues who are plant pathologists examine the plants, they could not find any obvious signs of fungal (or bacterial) infection.
Eventually, I brought them a plant just beginning to show signs of distress, and when we examined it, we found fertiliser deposits on the roots and rhizome. The diagnosis – fertiliser burn. And what made it worse was that the plant in question had not been fertilised – the deposits had originated from other pots and precipitated out of the water.
Do not abuse fertilisers – they will hurt and kill your plants if you do. Be warned and be informed!
Sarracenia flava var. cuprea “Victorian Clone”. Another victim of fertiliser abuse, not replaced at time of writing (and much missed).