Saturday, July 11, 2015

Bog # 4 in position, ready to fill – if the weather permits

This weekend, a vigorous series of cold fronts are sweeping across south-eastern Australia, so I did what I could towards the new bog garden before they arrived.

Positioned

This meant laying some more gravel to level up the garden’s base. When I placed out the other two, I deliberately left enough room to put a fourth garden in the middle of them – or so I thought. The last garden was about  20 mm out of position, so I need to build up the gravel under where the fourth garden will go to fit it in. Fortunately, only the lips of the three ponds were overlapping, so its no big deal. I managed to get the gravel in and the pond levelled just in time for the first showers ahead of the front arrived. Seeing as the weather is likely to stop me doing further work this weekend, I half-filled the pond and will leave it settle until next weekend, when I will make any final corrections and start filling it with peat.