Thursday, October 25, 2018

The Sarracenia flava collection in full bloom

Sarracenia collection in flower, 2018-2019 season

The Sarracenia flava have hit their peak of flowers for this year, and they look spectacular! Here’s some blooms from assorted plants:

Sarracenia flava in flower, 2018-2019 season Sarracenia flava in flower, 2018-2019 season

Sarracenia flava in flower, 2018-2019 season Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora in flower, 2018-2019 season

Sarracenia flava var. atropurpurea in flower, 2018-2019 season Sarracenia flava in flower, 2018-2019 season

Sarracenia collection in flower, 2018-2019 season

These photos are actually showing the collection past its peak (25 October), as some petals were already starting to fall. As luck would have it, I was away with work when the peak came (I suspect Tuesday was the actual peak).

Drosera burmannii; Newcastle Airport, NSW. Utricularia australis; Newcastle Airport, NSW

As a small consolation, I managed to find nice populations of Drosera burmannii and Utricularia australis where I was near Newcastle, NSW. Incidentally, the plants of D. burmannii I brought from an AUSCPS member last year self-sowed enough seed that I should have a lovely carpet of them shortly in the VFT pot.

Drosera burmannii seedlings with VFT

Speaking of which, the VFT collection has also done well and is emerging from dormancy. I’ve been busy nipping flower stalks off – I’ve never managed to get seed to set from my flytraps. Some Drosera pulchella gemmae I got off ebay Australia have also produced a goodly number of plants that are getting bigger, and each week I find a couple more between the flytraps. I’ll get the macro lens out and get some close-up shots of them soon.

Venus’ flytrap collection, Spring 2018 Drosera pulchella and Dionaea muscipula

Yesterday, I got in and pollinated as many S. flava flowers as I could. I selfed most things, but made a few strategic crosses. One was between two very nice S. flava var. cuprea clones, one from Gotcha! Plants and another from a local grower, Ross Rowe.

Sarracenia flava var. atropurpurea in flower, 2018-2019 season

The other was a forward and reverse cross between S. flava var. atropurpurea from Blackwater State Forest, Florida (this is the first year that clone has flowered for me) and the atropurpurea clones FRT 1-1 and FRT 1-5. Here’s a photo of the Blackwater SF clone’s flower:

Sarracenia flava var. atropurpurea (Blackwater S.F.) in flower, 2018-2019 season

One thing that I haven’t seen before this year is the honeybees taking an interest in the flowers. They seem to be efficient pollinators, as they enter the flowers via the stigma and thoroughly dusted in pollen. The below bee is not so covered, as she is a little de-fuzzed (setulae rubbed from the scutum) and probably did not pick up any pollen from the stamens as a result. Hopefully, they haven’t messed up my crosses…

Sarracenia flava var. atropurpurea with honeybee taking off after a probable pollination visit

The first pitchers have opened too, with S. flava var. maxima from Honeysuckle Road, Harleyville, NC beating out a pot of S. flava var. atropurpurea by a few days.

Sarracenia flava var. maxima (Honeysuckle Road, Harleyville, NC) in flower, 2018-2019 season